Friday, January 31, 2014

Cheap revamp of my bedside lamp

When I decided to paint my  bedroom I knew I'd have to do something about the terribly old and ugly lamp I had in there. I have had this lamp for at least 10 years and it was a cheap lamp to begin with---I want to say I got it at Dollar General for $5 or $10. It was still functional, just ugly and I thought surely there was hope for the poor thing.
I'm still getting the hang of this blogging business so I didn't even think of taking a "before" pic until I'd already started. But here is a before pic where I just happened to get the lamp in a different picture. Sorry for all the vitamins and junk around it (oops!).
And here's a sideview of the shade right after I started slapping the paint to it :)
As you can see, it really was ugly. I figured I couldn't make it worse no matter what I did to it. So I thought to myself..."Hey Self, why don't you try the same paint you used on the wall and put it on the shade?" Well, every now and again ol' Self has a good idea, so that's what I did. I just used a regular paintbrush and brushed the paint onto the shade. To my surprise the paint actually adhered and looked pretty darn good. Woohoo...GO SELF!
I put a couple of coats of the paint...Ocean Teal semi gloss wall paint.
 I knew better than to try painting the lamp base with that paint though as the base was glass.
I did, however, have some spray paint I was pretty sure would work :)
And I was right again...Crazy, right? lol

As I'm hoping to go with a butterfly theme in my bedroom I decided I'd try sticking some paper butterflies punched from a very similar colored cardstock that I just happened to have.
It's hard to tell in the pictures but the butterflies and the lampshade are VERY close in color and it looks much better in person.

I just used mini glue dots to adhere the butterflies to the shade.
I love how it turned out and it matches the bedroom perfectly now! And since I used only supplies that I already had it was a FREE transformation--and folks, it doesn't get much cheaper than that ;)

4 comments:

  1. That’s awesome! While “old and ugly” is a little stretch for the previous version, the changes you added made a huge difference. Who needs to buy a new lamp when you can customize the old one and make it look as pretty as those you see in stores? Thanks for sharing this amazing idea!

    Gwendolyn Haynes @ Uttermost Australia

    ReplyDelete