Sunday, March 30, 2014

Chalkboard cabinets--don't be afraid!!

Oh yes it did! That tiny spark ignited and exploded lol...I got the itch on friday as I was performing one of my most hated "chores" of cleaning up underneath the kitchen sink. It seems that a conglomeration of "junk" accumulates under there lol. Anyway--as I was doing that I was thinking of all the chalkboard projects I've seen over the last few months and I thought to myself "hmmm I should do that somewhere here in the kitchen..." And so began the process :)
I didn't mention it to Tim--not because he'd say no but because I knew how skeptical he'd be lol. Hey--that's what I am telling myself so let's just go with that ok??? So early Saturday morning I got up and went to walmart--I have a love/hate relationship with that store. Sadly, in the paint department they didn't have anything "chalkboard" other than spray paint and I certainly wasn't inclined to remove the cabinets and taking them outside for spray painting--ain't nobody got time fo' dat.
I had my grandson with me and he was getting restless but I decided to just run back to the craft department (what's left of it) and just see what was there. It must have been divine intervention because I found ONE 4 oz. bottle of FolkArt acrylic chalkboard paint!
I decided on painting the fronts of the pantry cabinet doors and I love it!
I can never seem to remember to take "before" photos until I've actually started a project but eventually I'll get there lol. SO here are some photos of the process....






NOTE: I did some research online before I started and here are the tips I found most helpful. 
1. Obviously clean your surface prior to painting.
2. Paint one coat and let dry for at least an hour before painting the second coat.
3.Alternate brush strokes with each coat of paint--eg: if you paint the first layer up and down then paint the second coat side to side.
4. Let the paint "cure" for 24 hours before writing on it.

That one 4 oz. bottle painted 3 coats on each of my cabinets so it doesn't take a lot. The bottle was $5



3 comments: