Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Scrapbooking trends

So I was doing some straightening of my scrap/craft corner and I have a whole stack of magazines I've collected over the years and can't seem to make myself part with. I swear, for somebody who dislikes clutter as much as I do, you'd think I'd be willing to part with more stuff. But one of the magazines which caught my eye was MEMORY MAKERS "Scrapbooking Top 50" dated March 2004.
Looking through the magazine for no telling how many times, I was struck at how much the scrapbook industry has evolved over the years. I started scrapbooking in 2003, so not so very long before this magazine was printed. Those things listed in the magazine are the things that were trendy and popular when I started out. I've seen a lot of trends come and go over the past 10 years--some I bought into and some I could never grasp. For example--I absolutely adore the shabby chic look but I have never been able to achieve it. My style is a little cleaner no matter how much I try to mimic the shabby chic style--it just doesn't work for me personally.


I won't list the entire 50 things but a few of the trends were:
1. copper
2. Bazzill monochromatic papers
3. tiles
4. labels
5. micro beads
6. Quickutz
7. vintage typewriter letters
8. slide mounts
9. hardware store finds
10. alphabet stamps
11. decorative metal clips
12. mini frames
13. dictionary definitions
14. tag art
15. walnut ink

Now how is that for a trip down memory lane? I have used all those except the Quickutz, which I never invested in. I actually still use a lot of those same items/techniques in my scrapbooking today.
Maybe for my next layout I'll dig out those slide mounts I have stashed away :)

I hope you enjoyed the post and that it inspires you to go dig into your scrapbook supplies and create a beautiful layout to be passed on to your loved ones.
Have a great day and happy scrapping!


3 comments:

  1. by the time I get back in my room, my things will be ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good thing about that though, is that nobody will know that when they look at your albums! The important thing is to get those memories preserved!!
    And I hear that scrapbook.com delivers ;) AND, even better, sometimes buying new supplies is a motivator to get to scrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good thing about that though, is that nobody will know that when they look at your albums! The important thing is to get those memories preserved!!
    And I hear that scrapbook.com delivers ;) AND, even better, sometimes buying new supplies is a motivator to get to scrapping!

    ReplyDelete