Saturday, January 17, 2015

Burlap "HOME" banner

Hidy-Ho, blog readers!
As promised, I have something to share with you that I have had in the back of my head for quite some time. Hey, the back of my head is jam packed with wonderful ideas; unfortunately, the majority never make it to fruition. Thankfully, this one DID! And I can honestly say, I LOVE IT!
Such a simple little project but really adds a touch of pizzazz and "hominess" I think.
Of course, this isn't an original idea as I've seen tons of variations all over Pinterest,  Really though, is there such a thing as "original" anymore?
Anyway, on to the banner making process!
I didn't need to purchase anything for this project which is always a good thing!

I used:
Burlap that was given to me
cardstock to add weight and stability
Mod Podge
EK Success small retro flower punch
3/8 black eyelets
jute
Making Memories Foam Stamps
black acrylic paint
black mini brads for flower centers
Glue Dots for attaching the flowers to the pennants

The first thing I did was to use my Cricut Expression to cut out my triangular pennant shapes to the size I wanted. Once the  cardstock shapes were cut out, I used mod podge and coated each piece generously before adhering it to the burlap and smoothing it out to dry. I'm sure that particular step could be skipped but I wanted to add weight to my banner to aid in not curling and holding its shape well and I think adding the cardstock worked well.

I let it dry completely before cutting the shapes from the burlap. I left an edge around the entire shape rather than trying to cut flush with the cardstock.
Once that was done, I used the acrylic paint and foam stamps to stamp the letters to form the word "home" onto the individual pieces.
I also used my We R Memory Keepers crop-o-dile to punch holes for the eyelets I wanted to use. And again, you could probably skip this step if you had another way of stringing your banner together.

Add some flowers or whatever other embellishment you prefer and VOILA!

I seriously love my little burlap banner!


And here is the finished burlap banner in its new permanent (for now LOL) spot!
That's all I have to share today but keep checking back because you just never know what I might come up with next!
Thanks for stopping by!

Rhonda

1 comment:

  1. so pretty Rhonda! That would be nice as a door hanger with Boyd or Reno!!!

    ReplyDelete