Sunday, May 4, 2014

It's all in the details

When I walk into someone's home-whether I've been there 20 times or whether it's my first time across the threshold-my eyes automatically overlook any kind of mess or clutter and go directly to the details that stand out to me. It could be as simple as the cobwebs in the corner or it might be a huge eyesore of some sort. For example, when there are minor renovation projects in progress such as patching a hole in the wall or a wall half painted. I guess it's harder to put into words than I anticipated. But this all applies to my thoughts as I walk into my own home as well...I am always striving to see it as others see it and not become too complacent with the details. There've been several areas over the 6 or so years we've lived here that have bugged me (more like haunted and tormented me lol) but as I've stated before, we are on a budget and have priorities...oh those pesky bills and kids.
When we bought this mobile home we had to change the furnace from gas to electric due to financial considerations at the time. When we did that it opened up a gaping hole above the furnace covering in the hallway. Oh immediately, my husband assured me we could make use of that space--he could put a couple of shelves there and we could use it for storage. Well, all those years later and it is still an ugly, dusty, half painted gaping hole. He has good intentions but they don't always come to fruition. 
I came up with my own solution :) And I am pleased with not only the simplicity and frugality of the project but also how much I like the way it looks. And it's all as simple as a piece of pretty fabric, 2 tension rods and some handy dandy hot glue--hey, this chick is not a sewer lol.

Here is the original "before we moved in" pic

How gorgeous and perfect is this fabric??? 

The ginormous cavernous atrocity--ok maybe that's a little overly dramatic lol.
VOILA!! :) A little paint touching up and it will be finished.

Total price for this project was under $11 and approximately 30 minutes of my time. And though it may difficult to distinguish from the photos, it really made a difference when you walk down the hallway.
I am thinking about getting some black hammered enamel spray paint and painting the furnace cover..what do you guys think?


1 comment:

  1. Love the curtain you made for the cover. Did you paint the furnace cover yet?

    ReplyDelete