Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day 2014

I think most Mom's consider themselves blessed and I am no exception. I have 4 kids of my own and 2 that I consider my own. I have grandchildren and daughter-in-laws that I love beyond expression. My own Mama is not here anymore and I miss her more than I could put into words. BUT that isn't what I want to focus on tonight. No, I want to focus on just how privileged I am to have an amazing husband and family.
Last night at a little after midnight my two children who still live at home came into my bedroom bearing a card and a couple of small gifts. They brought a single red rose, some Chips Ahoy Reece's cookies, a scented candle and a card with a beautiful message. On the outside of the envelope, my eighteen year old wrote "To: Wanda Burnett" which gave me my first chuckle. It's an old reference to a time when that same child was lost in WalMart and couldn't pronounce my name properly and they kept calling for "Wanda Burnett" over the intercom and I had no idea they were calling ME.  Also on the envelope he wrote "from: your children (basically just Garrett) with a smiley face. The card sentiment was sweet and he spent time picking the card. It was completely worth being woken up for and just the two of them coming in with their goodies was precious.
Shortly after they left and I was drifting back to dream land, I got a precious text message from Eddie which is now "locked" in my phone's inbox.
And today I got a visit from our oldest son and his family with a card that melted my heart and a beautiful pink Azalea bush which is now planted beside the front porch. AND lunch with my husband at Long John Silver's--hey, it wasn't my first choice but Applebee's was so packed that people were parking in the grass (yes, I'm serious lol). Ruby Tuesday and Cracker Barrel were also packed so LJS was the next best option. And I do love Long John's shrimp.
And that was my Mother's Day in a nutshell. I hope all you mother's, grandmothers, step-mother's, aunts and any other person with kids in your lives had a great day.
Thank you to my family for making today a special day--I love you guys beyond words!


3 comments:

  1. Such a fun memory about Garrett being lost and them calling that name. Of course I'm sure at the time it was upsetting. Did you even realize he was lost or did you think he was just shopping and would get back with you soon? Either way fun memory to chuckle about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea he was lost...I'd left him with his brothers. Unfortunately, they bought the game they wanted and proceeded back to the car, leaving a 3 year old Garrett to his own devices. We laugh about it now but at the time I was not a happy Mama with those 2 boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea he was lost...I'd left him with his brothers. Unfortunately, they bought the game they wanted and proceeded back to the car, leaving a 3 year old Garrett to his own devices. We laugh about it now but at the time I was not a happy Mama with those 2 boys.

    ReplyDelete