Saturday, September 6, 2014

Painted canvas

Yes I'm still here! Didn't mean to be ignoring my blog but it has been a wonky 2-3 weeks just trying to get adjusted and settled into a new routine. My emotions have been somewhat of a yo-yo recently and I've had a bit of trouble shaking it off but I think I'm just about there! So thank you for hanging around while I pull myself together!

Last weekend my college boy *finally* came home for one night before rushing back out the door barely 24 hours later...but I digress :)  It was wonderful having him home if even for just one night. He spent a couple hours like this---(and if you follow me on Instagram you've already seen this and I apologize). It's amazing that you love your kids just as much lying here sleeping at this age as you do when you are cradling them in your arms and looking into their precious tiny faces--and you moms *know* what I'm talking about :) <3  A mother's love never changes.




Later in the day we had a house full and oh how I loved it :) There's nothing like having all your kids, most of their significant others and your grandkids all under the same roof. It was loud, crowded, hectic and wonderful!
 And I love this picture of the grandbabies. I dare anybody to look at this slice of adorableness and not smile.



AND now that I've got all the mushy gushy stuff out of the way I'll move along to the crafty part.


I've always wanted to paint a canvas but to be honest, I was terrified. Of what? I have no idea lol. I've never had much faith in my artistic ability. I have a hard time even drawing the simplest things but I saw a piece of art on Pinterest (yes, AGAIN! LOL) and decided that I already had every supply I needed so why the heck not give it a shot. The very worst that could happen would be to ruin a $3 canvas. I was timid and wary as I put the brush to the canvas and even though it is far from perfect and fairly dissimilar to the way I had it pictured in my head, I still love how it turned out! I see a couple things I'd like to change but over all I'm thrilled with it and it will definitely not be my last painted canvas!

NOTE: the dragonfly is not painted...it is actually a punch, painted with watercolor paint and covered with glitter.

I first covered the canvas with a coat of Gesso because, well I think it is supposed to help the paint adhere and not bleed through or something lol. Remember, I'm not an artist, just a crafter who loves to create!
 After the Gesso dried completely (with a little help from my handy dandy heat gun) I used all acrylic paints to paint with. Some brands from WalMart and some from Making Memories...but all acrylic.
I really needed a teensy tiny brush for the lettering and I'll definitely pick one up for next time.
 Now, if I can do this, anyone can do it so don't be afraid--and I'd love to see what you create--Post it here or shoot me an email!

Thanks for stopping by and come back soon!

Rhonda

5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Rhonda! I really love it. You are so talented. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on that! Also isn't that a lesson we should teach our kids so maybe it'll save them some time in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for the sweet comments...they are very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the sweet comments...they are very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete