Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Trash-to-Treasure photo frame

Hi and happy Tuesday! It's been so crazy busy here the last few weeks but today I finally got to work on a small project that's been in my head for a few days and that I actually started a couple days back. I think I've mentioned before that I am always and forever on the prowl for alterable photo frames when I'm in thrift stores or at yard/garage sales. I picked this one up at least a year ago and it's been collecting dust in my "to alter" drawer just waiting for me to come up with the perfect project. So, kind of out of the blue I decided to try using some alcohol ink on some aluminum foil and see what I could come up with. To be honest, I've always been a little terrified of alcohol inks--I HAVE them, I've just never felt comfortable using them. I am happy to say, though, that I absolutely *LOVE* how this project came out! I am already looking for more ways to use aluminum foil and alcohol ink!

I started out with the frame--a 5x7 which was actually a dark green (I know it looks black in the photo, but trust me, it was green lol)... $.99 at Goodwill, aluminum foil from the kitchen cabinet, alcohol inks, acrylic paints, mod podge, my Texture Boutique and embossing folder.

I ran the foil through the Texture Boutique and then just dropped a few colors of alcohol inks onto the embossed foil and dabbed the heck out of it. I used a Terra Cotta, Caramel, metallic copper, and a green.
Once I had that part of the project finished, I sanded the frame and just started dropping paint onto it until I got it close to how I wanted it to look. Covered the painted (dried) frame with glossy Mod Podge and VOILA!!



The finished project that I plan on using on the collage wall in the living room

I know it's difficult to see the colors of the alcohol ink but they really blended well and look wonderful!
I've got a couple other projects that I'm also working on for that wall so check back soon!
Thanks for coming by <3

No comments:

Post a Comment